Saturday, January 23, 2010

Project Unknown Tyranid Beasties Vol. 3: The Parasite of Mortrex

"...a Tyranid bioform never before encountered- a bat-winged creature the size of a Tyranid Warrior... this tail was tipped with a hollow tube, similar to a serpent's fang..."

I was very excited to make my version of the Parasite, he seems like a blast. Just from the name and feel of his story, I decided he needed feeder tendrils. The whole thing just has a very "B" movie monster quality to it that I find pretty endearing.

I used the main body of a Lictor with his tail bent around, I then added Hormagaunt legs, Genestealer rending claws, and the wings from a Dark Pegasus. Oh, plus the tongue from a Carnifex for the head crest....

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Project Unknown Tyranid Beasties Vol. 2: The Harpy

So on to part two of my intrepid journey. I decided the Harpy would be easy enough to do, and I just happened to want a couple in my list. A Carnifex with a set of Balrog wings would pretty much fit the bill.

I once more didn't go wholesale for the picture in the codex. I didn't like the gun placement in the picture and I really wondered why they didn't go for Harridan style mounts, so I decided that's what I would do with mine. You can see a detail shot of the weapon mounts below.

The only part of of the conversion that really took any, well, conversion was the tail section. I cut the Carnifex tail just below the armour plates and pinned a paperclip in its place. I then curved the paperclip how I wanted it, covered it in putty, and gave it a scythe tail from the Fex kit.

Friday, January 8, 2010

Project Unknown Tyranid Beasties Vol. 1: The Tervigon

So I'm sure many of you have seen all the new goodness in the Tyranid codex, and the one thing that stuck out at me is that this codex has one of the most incomplete model ranges since second edition, there is alot of undone stuff. So I'll be building a few.

For the Tervigon I used the Hive Tyrants legs and head combined with the torso of a carnifex and a bunch of green Its middle arms are fused together into the egg pouch, and I used one of the terrain bits from the Genestealer kit to make the 'orifice' on the pouch, which you can see below...

I also magnetized the Termagaunts on the base, because with this guy on the field, I may just need to pop them onto their own bases...