Thursday, February 2, 2012

From the Tables... Titan Goes to War

So this month the league is 2,500 points. Week 1 I played Dawn of War, Annihilation against a nasty Draigo list. This was going to be an extremely uphill battle for me, as our armies had a 19-8 KP spread, and all of his units were extremely durable. I'd have to hit hard and fast while trying to mitigate loss on my more fragile units (read: Rhino hulls). I get first turn and place nothing, my opponent places two fat blobs of Paladins with Draigo at mid table.

I rush on Turn 1 and Night Fight protects me from the Psyflemen.

I get a charge off on one of the Paladin units with the Death Company and two Blood Talon Dreadnoughts. Blood Talons are pretty good against these guys. Here you can see where I had a Stormraven blow up and kill two of my Assault Terminators.

I kill Draigo and a whole unit of Paladins without them claiming a KP. Unfortunately his Psyflemen have been eating up light vehicles in my backfield, and I'm in a big hole KP wise.

Here we see his line shifting away from me, as I have lost my mobility and long range power. He is up in KP and can simply conserve his remaining units.

Probably would have been more entertaining and in no way challenged his win if my opponent had opted to engage me for the last few turns. It got a little boring watching him move backwards and shooting at me, but his prerogative I guess.

So I lost 10-5 KPs even though my opponent only had 9 models left on the board, but I guess that is Draigowing. My opponent had a very good turn 2, where he was able to knock out both Stormravens, a Rhino (plus a key immobilization on another), and disabled both Typhoons. I was happy taking out Draigo and his Paladin unit, I just wished I had done it a little faster so that Mephiston could have gone Dreadnought hunting sooner.

Here are the army lists we used (each x is a KP that was yielded):

Draigo x
3*Venerable Psyflemen xx
10*Paladins w/ 4*Psycannon, 2*Hammers, and full wound allocation x
10*Paladins w/ 4*Psycannon, 2*Hammers, and full wound allocation
2*Psyflemen x

Mephiston
Furioso w/ Blood Talons
5*Assault Terminators w/ 3*Hammers
Priest*2
5*Assault Marines w/ Meltagun, Razorback w/ Heavy Bolter x
5*Assault Marines w/ Meltagun, Razorback w/ Assault Cannon x
5*Death Company w/ Thunder Hammer, Lemartes x
10*Assault Marines w/ 2*Meltaguns, Power Fist, Rhino xx
10*Assault Marines w/ 2*Meltaguns, Power Fist, Rhino x
Death Company Dreadnought w/ Blood Talons x
Land Speeder Typhoon w/ Heavy Flamer x
Land Speeder Typhoon w/ Heavy Flamer
Stormraven w/ Extra Armour x
Stormraven w/ Extra Armour x

1 comment:

Chris said...

You made a strategic error early when you chose to attack the large concentration of his troops in the middle with the bulk of your force. It caused you to commit the majority of your mobility to one point in the battlefield, he then destroyed or disabled that mobility and left you at the mercy of his superior range. It's a common mistake and I've been guilty of it more than once, but one has to stay objective when analyzing threats and opponents intentions when deploying. Good game though fighting him til the end, I also hate to see that his army wasn't painted I hope that's because it's new and not because he's one of those players.